Sunday, March 19, 2006

Confusion at the Deli

So I went to this deli called Junior's yesterday afternoon for lunch with B. He's a Hungarian Methodist or something, and I'm a German Catholic but my family's all Irish on my mother's side. Super fucking shamrocky Irish...four leaf clovers, rainbows, frosted lucky charms, you know. So, in order to get our yearly fill of cornbeef on St. Paddy's, we, living in LA, head over to the best Jewish delicatessen in town.

We were all sitting there...and maybe it's because I work in a school that's predominantly Jewish, one might say really Jewish...but I have learned quite late in life that Jews love to be made fun of...by their own people, but still. So there I was, surrounded by Jews like in the Holy Land. And they were all dressed in these great outfits -- nip waders (as B refers to them), broaches, capes, big bouffant style hairdos.

Anyway, this guy that works there calls over the loudspeaker, "David, party of two."

And this guy next to me jumps up and runs over, says, "Daniel, party of four?"

And the waiter goes, "No, David. Party of two."

And Daniel goes, "Not Daniel?"

And the waiter goes, "No, Daaaay-vid."

And Daniel goes, "Am I David?"

Pause. Long pause.

And me and B are like, "Jeez, buddy, if you don't know, he can't help you." The waiter gives him a very condescending look and shakes his head slowly.

Some people are fucking retarded. So Danvid, as we are now referring to him sits back down, but seriously, when it was our turn the waiter calls, "(A name simialar to) Maynard! Party of two."

And David gets back up again!! "Daniel? Is that me?!?"

OMG. We need a big bus right about now. Anything. Danvid is so confused!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me of the day I was in Starbucks. And they put a name very similar to "Daniel" on my cup. But they called out "David" when my coffee was done.

After waiting while 5 people who ordered after me received their coffee, I was finally annoyed enough to ask about David's coffee, which was still sitting on the counter.

"Is that my coffee? Because you said David, but I'm not David."

The look I received was classic.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Maybe Danvid needs a hearing aid?

OR maybe my Grandfathers cure all, a swift kick in the ass.

YAy! Lola's back!
Oh man, I think I'm getting some wood goin I'm so happy!

6:25 PM  
Blogger DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

In all my new therapy adventures I have come across many Danvid types and this to me is a good thing because I get to reflect on them and for them and around them and with them and.....

At any rate I'm glad your back and hope to see many Danvid stories to come, bye bye lovely...

1:33 PM  
Blogger 400 said...

OMG...that's the greatest. I hate people like that.
What I don't understand is why he didn't just take the other person's table and then, if questioned, why he wouldn't have just played confused/

8:16 PM  
Blogger Scarlett said...

Oh, geez...who am I again? *grinz*

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home